This Summer I visited Seattle and Vancouver. Here are a few pictures from my travels.
I am currently completing my new website and brand. for this I have created a new logo and accompanying graphics.
One of my new featuring new graphics is the Boon mandala which features elements of digital design (e.g wifi symbols and coding references) within each of its layers.
I also made a motion graphic which may be used at the end of future video productions as my ident.
Overall looking back at the project it has been very educational. We did manage out time quite well and managed to get a working prototype out there. Our last minute panic was a real learning experience as we had to rush to fix all of the issues that came up when migrating to dakar. We ended up leaving late last night having fixed almost all the issues.
Finally we changed out group image on the about page. The pug was initially used as a place holder but we decided to use it as our group image as it was often only a few of us doing the work which has been noted. So we used this as a bit of an in joke, but jazzed it up for the final about page.
Arman saw through his birthday in the Digital Media Design studio, happy birthday!
To fix the image date error, we had to create a php.ini file in dakar (something which was present in my own hosting, which was why it worked there an not here). On there we changed the date settings to GMT rather than grab it from the timeline its in. This stopped the error from appearing.
As we couldn’t connect to the external server (due to 1 and 1 connection permissions) we fixed this by creating a new database and connecting to that.
The upload directory permissions were fixed on my dakar. Something that Rob could do when we provided him with the file directory we wanted to write to.
Finally all of our images were not showing (e.g. the nav logo). Rob said this could be due to us using static paths instead of relative ones. Up until last minute I have changed all the paths to relative ones and have managed to get a few images showing, but the most important one (the navbar logo) still won’t show. Ive checked the console log etc.. but with no luck. I may not get it done by submission time but its something id like to fix.
Our main issue was not being able to register or log in at all.
As we couldn’t migrate the database over to Dakar (due to an issue with my hosting) we had to reinstall phpmyadmin on dakar and rebuild the table. We then changed the connect.php file to connect to this database instead of the 1 and 1 database.
However we were still having register issues. Every submission returned and error. After almost an hour of looking it seem to be that we hadn’t changed the character limit for the username and password from 0. Changing this to 15 then solved the problem and allowed us to register and login.
Issue number 1 Fixed
Having the website almost completely ready, we only needed to make a few changes to the CSS for submission.
However having figured out yesterday that the project had to be submitted on Dakar we went ahead and moved the file over. We didn’t think it would be much of an issue to move the site as we thought we could still connect to the 1 and 1 database remotely.
However countless issues arose which led us to believe we were going to have stay up all night to complete this task.
Issues to fix were
On our landing page we decided to try something different than a simple pattern background. Now that our functionality was sorted we decided to add some flare.
We thought an HTML5 video background would be pretty cool. We went to the beach and recored a rather artsy video of the waves and some birds. The next step was to create the background. Using the <Video> tags in HTML5 we could insert the video into the website. Adding autoplay, loop and muted to the code allowed it to loop continuously. We had trouble making it full screen, but we fixed this but inserting it into div with a height and width of 100% and fixing it then setting the video attribute in CSS to “cover” it would make it full screen.